Tuesday, April 15, 2008

IN YER FACE!

So, this is a pretty typical discussion, but just want to get some thoughts.

While we've all been taught(Biblically) to be bold in our faith-where's the line? I mean, where do we go from being bold in the faith to being overly-zealous? I mean, we know the dangers of teaching a "lovey dubby" God is that He "just accepts you as your are", and that "He doesn't care about what you've done", but how do we communicate the true and Mercifully Just God of the Bible?

So this is based a little bit on some statements by my co-worker. She was telling me how she's been working at DQ and as a Christian showing the love of Christ. Her words: "I'm not in your face with them, and like trying to be over the top." She's just "Let the other employees know that I love them and God loves them..."

On one hand I understand the unBiblical view as that's what I know through catechism(Christ loves BELIEVERS, and we are called to be bold)-yet on the other hand this girl is being a witness. I, personally, am not afraid what people think of me, but if they think I'm some over the top "hyper-religious", "hard-core", "Bible thumper", and "goody goody"-what is that reflecting about Christ and His church?

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Yeah.. I think we are called to be bold, but shoving stuff in people's faces doesn't help either.

I think to show with your life is the biggest thing, and to let them know what you believe, and then "always be ready with a defense to anyone who asks you...

Aaron said...

Yeah, I'm not the kind of person to get in people's faces. I mean if someone swears I don't "get religious" as they call it... but should I?

Like I know what I believe, and I try to live it, but is that all we're called to? I mean "give an apology", but does a defense come after an attack?

Anonymous said...

Let your speach be seasoned with grace. But then we must not forget to be zealous for the Lord and the building of His kingdom.
As David said, "Zeal for Your house has eaten me up". We must seek to bring the nations in to worship the living God, in a way that will make them say, "Yes this is the true God". When the nations see you, they will want to know about the true, and living God. And when they ask us, we must never neglect to give a response.
-nate-

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I got the first sentence wrong. It is, "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one."
The verse before that is, "Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time." That is Col. 4:5-6.
-Me-

Aaron said...

Zeal is one thing, extremism is another. Like I think I know what you're saying, but there's a difference between not being afraid to give an answer, and having the right TIME to give an answer.

For instance my boss was saying a lot of stuff, and I answered everything he said. He kinda laughed and said he was just being funny, but maybe I should have recognized that and saved my point for a serious discussion.

One thing straight: I have no fear of what anybody, but God thinks. What does concern me is if my actions and attitude are being a good witness for Christ.

Ruth said...

Hey Aaron! Didn't get the chance to talk to you today :S Excellent question! In my limited experience, I've found a few things especially helpful:
-Actions speak volumes... Much louder than words, but words are still necessary
-"Speak the truth in love" (or tact) Ephesians 4:15
-The truth will eventually always be offensive

Anonymous said...

Yep, I agree Aaron. Zeal is different then extremism.
-Nate-

Heidi said...

Yeah very good what Ruth and Nate said.

Truth will always be offensive.

Just make sure it is the truth that is offending them not you. That God is speaking and not drowned out by your eloquence.

Not saying this to you personally but I do find it very easy to think it's all up to us and forget that we are just instruments in His plan.

I think the main thing is always be willing and ready. And trust that God will show you.

Maybe your boss was just kidding around and trying to get a reaction.

Maybe he got one.

Maybe when he went home that night he thought a little more about it.

Maybe he'll try again.

Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron said...

Thanks for the comments guys... Really help... I guess I really just need to be ready all the time, both in word and action.

You know how tough that is working at DQ... He caught me with coconut in my mouth yesterday... sigh... lol

I guess I'll have to use that to show him that Christians aren't perfect... I wonder what kind of dicussion I could get out of that.

April 22, 2008 5:39 AM