Friday, December 14, 2007

Perspective

Well, I've had a lot to think about the last couple days. My last post wasn't really on the happier side, and really the things I've been thinking about aren't all the brighter. The thing is that I think my perspective on things is changing a bit.

I've really been introspective lately, just kind of keeping to myself. Not the most healthy thing, and I've noticed it to. This book I read a couple weeks ago talked about personal prayer lives, and made me see how much of my prayer time I spend praying about myself. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not the best way to pray either.

Been trying to make my prayers less about me, and more about others. My problems really pale in comparison to others. My problems seem really big, and each of us face those things that really are serious, but really I'm not called to pray selfishly. I have to admit that I haven't been improving much.

You know, I think we all see that we need to pray for others, and yet I don't think I ever really encountered it. I mean I know there's people out their suffering, but when it's somebody you know... somebody who affects the people around you... it's different.

And yeah, I'm not posting to say I've achieved some "higher understanding" this week or anything, but it's just really awesome when God takes your point of view and turns it right around. So my nondepressing "Song of the Day" today is About You by Zoegirl

I've been thinking lately
About you
When it hit me from nowhere
Out of the gray
Everything's been coming together
Now that I'm moved
Beyond myself
And wrapped my head around
Something else

Chorus:
It's not about me
It's gotta be about you (everyday)
And all I wanna see is
Who you're turning me into
I will not forget
That you said
You'd always lead me through
To who I wanna be
Making every part of me
About you

I've been spending so much time
Disconnected
I was searching for affection
Inside myself
But I finally turned away
From my reflection
Saw your world outside my door
And everything that I've been looking for

Chorus

So I lay down my pride
'Cause you laid down your life
And I'm giving love that's holding me by
And thinking to you
And you lead me through
And you always do

Chorus

5 comments:

Heidi said...

That's really good.

We definitely need to pray about each other way more. And not be scared to ask for prayer either.

Aaron I think you should go on a missions trip. Mine was so good for me. It really just put my life in perspective.

But then again, you don't need to go very far to find a mission. that's actually the hard part I find. It's so much easier to be a missionary when you're "on a mission" when really our whole life should be one.

Yeah I really talk to much...

Mel said...

Agreed. Hey did you ever get that reply to the email you sent me a few weeks back?

Aaron said...

Yeah, definitely... I don't think we think about it as much as we should.

A mission trip would be awesome, but there's not very many options out there. I found this URCMissions.org or something, but it's for 18+ :(

The missionary attitude starts at home-good point.

You know I think somehow you're getting spammed :p

Mel said...

Who me what huh? I think you're getting spammed, you're tne only one who never gets stuff I send. :P

Aaron said...

"Spammed" as in "being labeled" as spam... So being spammed to my spam folder... it tastes like spam...