Thursday, November 1, 2007

Tis late, but...

Well, after an awesome soccer game today I came home to do school... bleh... Biology can be cool, but not when you have 2 hours left to complete it and what begins to look like gibberish when you're falling over from sleepiness. So basicly I did what I could and gave up on the rest :) Pretty bad, but as long as I pass I'm happy.

So, I said I'd do something on Reformation Day. Well, I don't have much to say except for the fact that lots of people ask us what we do. It can be hard to explain sometimes, but I was kind of surprised by how many people actually knew who Luther and Calvin were. I had a harder time trying to think of the origins of Halloween. I heard something about being All-Saints day, but I always thought the occult made their holidays near the time of that as a mockery, but then I heard somewhere else that the Christians made the holiday near the occultic ones to deter from their celebrations. I'm not really sure what the case really was though...

So, for anyone who doesn't know-my dad and I visited Nobleton and had a marvelous potluck supper(one of my favorites being that wonderful meatloaf/ham/spinach roll that Miriam made :). After that we played quite the challenging game of Jeapardy which was pretty cool. I heard later that my church did the same thing that night, but that the questions were a little easier or something to that affect. Anyway, thanks for the invitation and had a great time!

So if anyone has some opinions on trick or treating, I'd love to hear them. Like: why exactly do we not trick or treat(aside from our age now)? Is it because of the whole demon/witch/ghost costumes and stuff? Is it just because it's secular? Is it because Reformation Day celebrations sounds like so much more fun? ;) Like is there a Biblical reason I shouldn't go trick or treating with some neighbors and be a witness by dressing up as Jean Cauvin(John Calvin) or Luther and ask for candy in German? lol

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've allways been taught that Halloween was a holiday dedicated to the worship of Satan, and therefore we shouldn't celabrate it. I know some people would justify trick-or-treating by saying you can be a wittness, and hand out Bible verses in exchange for candy, or as you said, dress up like a reformer and ask for candy in German(which many people in my nieghborhood could and would do anyway) but I think that doing that would mix together the worship of God and the worship of Satan.
A secondary reason not to trick-or-treat would be that it's wrong to ask people for free stuff.

Aaron said...

Hm... good point...

I don't know about asking for free stuff though... I mean that's why people bought candy-to hand out right? That's the other thing I don't understand: why pay money to buy candy to hand out and then pay money to buy costumes to go out and get candy from OTHER people??? dawha?

Anonymous said...

If you answer it that way, I don't think we should celebrate Christmas anymore. Christmas has turned into a heathen religion where Santa Claus has taken the place of God. If it is true that Halloween was originally a Christian holiday, done to celebrate Christ's victory over the forces of Satan, we should not worry about it also having turned into a heathen holiday, and celebrate it as it originally was meant to be, just as we celebrate Christmas as it was originally intended to be. This is not mixing the worship of God and Satan.

Rachael B. said...

Hi Aaron!
I agree with you too, Karen, we've never done trick/treating either. I read in a commentary that the origins of halloween went back to the time of the druids- basically the occult. I guess you could say that the world's been blinded in a way...

btw, I plan to keep up blogging too...do you think we should all make up a 'league of dedicated bloggers'? ;)

Aaron said...

Hey Rach! Yeah I'll add you to my list. I was thinking of something like the "league of bloggers" the other day... Good idea...

Hm... Interesting point there Nate... To tell the truth, I don't celebrate Halloween-I celebrate Reformation Day. I don't celebrate Xmas, I celebrate Christmas.

It's kind of like the idea I heard from James Macdonald the other day. He was talking about sex, and how the world has dirtied the term and destroyed it, and how he has begun to use the term "Eros" instead. I think maybe and idea like this could be used for other good things gone bad to.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron!
Yah as Karen already said we have always been taught that halloween was the worship of Satan. I looked up halloween on Wikipedia (an oline ecyclopedia) and it said that most of todays halloween traditions decend from medieval pagan holidays. And btw if you guys do start a "league of faithful bloggers" i might get a blog too. I was going to get a blog but then i decided not to cuz i thought every body else was getting out of it but now if you guys are still going to blog then i might still get one.

Aaron said...

Yeah John! I just looked that up to! You use Wiki! Cool!

Hey if you get a blog I'll add you ok?

Anonymous said...

By the way, I am not actually for celebrating Halloween, but if Halloween actually had good origins(which we can't really be sure about), there is nothing wrong with celebrating, except with a different purpose, and in a different way than it is celebrated now.